Now that a lot of festivals are lined up wishing all the readers Happy Dussera and Eid -ul -Adha/Bakrid.
Now that during the Eid season there is plenty of lamb around at home you can make a variety of dishes like Harees, Biryani, Pathar ka gosht, dum ghosht etc;.
Today we will learn how to make hyderabadi harees. Hyderabadi harees, is basically a stew composed of meat, lentils and broken wheat made into a thick paste. It originated as an Arabic dish and was introduced to the Hyderabad state during the Nizam's rule. Blended with regional traditional spices, it formed a unique Hyderabadi harees, becoming a popular food among the native residents.
Enjoy this traditional lip-smacking recipe of everyone's favorite hyderabadi harees .
- Lamb / Beef (boneless) - 1 1/2 kg
- Broken wheat (wheat rava) - 1/4 kg
- Lentils - Masoor dal, Toor dal, Chana dal, Moong dal - 1/2 cup and Urad dal - 1 cup
- Garam Masala - Kawab chini (cubebs) - 10-15 Cloves - 4Cardamom - 4Caraway seeds (shah zeera) - 1/2 tspCinnamon - 2 sticksPeppercorns - 10-15
- Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1/2 cup
- Coriander - 1 bunch
- Mint - 1 bunch
- Green chillies - 10-12
- Water - as required
- Onions - 4-6 (medium)
- Ghee - 1/2 cup for garnish
- Almonds and Cashew nuts (Roasted) - for garnish
- Lemon - 4 (cut into wedges) for garnish
- Clean and wash the meat and add all the lentils (washed), garam masala, chopped coriander, mint, and green chillies.
- Now add red chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste and oil.
- Add water and pressure cook for about three whistles or till the meat is completely tender.
- Meanwhile wash the broken wheat / rava and add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp salt ,1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1tbsp oil, 10 peppercorns, 10 kawab chini and 1-1 1/2 ltr water and cook on a low to medium heat till done.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the chopped onions till dark golden and crisp.
- Roast the almonds and cashew nuts. keep aside.
- When both the things are done, bring the meat and wheat together and blend it with a masher (ghotni) into a thick paste.
- Now keep the mixture on a medium to high flame and add the remaining oil of fried onions and cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander, mint leaves, roasted almonds and cashew nuts , fried onions and lemon wedges.
- Top with ghee and serve hot.