Dahi vadas are basically savory lentil dumplings with spicy yogurt.
Ingredients :FOR VADAS :
Bengal gram flour/besan - 3 cups
Salt - to taste
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking soda - a pinch
Water - as needed
Oil - to fry
FOR YOGURT :
Yogurt - 3 cups
Salt - to taste
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Coriander - 1/2 bunch finely chopped
Mint leaves - 1/2 bunch
Curry leaves - 8-9
Green chillies - 5-6 chopped
FOR SEASONING :
Oil - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Dried red chillies - 4-5
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
1. In a large bowl add the yogurt and beat it well with a whisk to make it smooth.
2. Add red chilli powder, salt, ginger-garlic paste, coriander, curry leaves, mint leaves and green chillies. Mix well and keep aside.
1. In a bowl mix together besan, red chilli powder, salt, turmeric and soda. Add required amount of water to make a smooth batter. (not too thick, not too thin). Beat it well to make sure that there are no lumps in it. keep aside.
2.Heat oil in a pan and with the help of a spoon leave the vadas into the pan. Fry the vadas on a low-medium heat till golden brown.
3. Immediately put the vadas in cold salted water.
4. Let them soak for a few minutes. Then put them into the spicy yogurt.
1. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and dried red chillies. fry for a few minutes. remove from heat, add a little turmeric powder and pour over the yogurt.
2. Dahi vadas are ready to serve.
VARIATIONS : Instead of Bengal gram flour(besan), you can use urad dal also. Wash and soak the urad dal for 6-7 hours before making vadas.
Enjoy and Good luck :)
Sending this recipe to :