Chole are one of my favorites, and there is nothing like my elder sister's spicy chole with hot pooris.
Here's a mouthwatering chole recipe straight from Kausers kitchen.
Hope you like it.
- Chick peas (kabuli chana) - 250 grams
- Onions - 2 finely (chopped)
- Tomatoes - 2 (chopped)
- Boiled potatoes - 1/4 cup (diced)
- Green Chillies - 2-4 (chopped)
- Coriander - 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Mint leaves - 1/2 cup
- Red chilli powder - 2 1/2 tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Chole masala - 3 tsp
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Teabag / tealeaves tied in a muslin cloth - 1
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Water - as needed
- Wash and soak the chickpeas in enough water overnight.
- Drain chickpeas and put in pressure cooker.
- Add enough water, little salt, turmeric powder and teabag / tealeaves tied in muslin cloth.
- Pressure cook until soft and completely cooked.
- Drain and discard the teabag.
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions, fry till they become transparent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder and mix well.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, boiled potatoes, chopped coriander, mint leaves, green chillies and saute.
- Cook for a few minutes, then add the boiled chick peas and a little water according to the consistency of the gravy you want.
- Simmer and cook for another 5-6 minutes till the chick peas absorb all the flavors.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and chopped onions.
- Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice and serve hot with pooris / bhaturas.