Medu Vada is a traditional South Indian recipe.This delicious vadas are normally eaten for breakfast and are famous tiffin items for kids.
These medu vadas are so crispy on the outside and fluffy inside and are best served with sambar and coconut chutney.
Enjoy these crispy and simply delicious snack .
- Urad dal / Mash dal - 1 cup
- Rice flour - 1 tbsp for the crisp
- Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Coconut - 2 tbsp (thinly sliced)
- Curry leaves - 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Green chillies - 2-3 (finely chopped)
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Ajwain / carom seeds - 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Wash and soak the urad dal in water 6-7 hours or overnight.
- Drain all the water and blend into a fine paste.No need to add additional water.the mixture should be slightly thick.
- Now add black pepper powder, chopped green chillies ,curry leaves, sliced coconut, ginger-garlic paste, carom seeds, salt and rice flour. Mix well.
- Take the batter into a deep bowl and beat with hand for about 2-3 minute to make the batter light.
- Keep a bowl with water ready before frying vadas.
- Heat oil in wok on a medium to low flame.
- Wet your hand and take lemon sized batter in your hand and with your thumb make a hole in the center, immediately slide it in the hot oil.
- Deep fry the vadas till nicely golden brown in color.
- Remove on a paper towel.
- Your crispy tasty medu vadas are ready .
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or sambhar.
- Test fry the vadas.
- If the batter is too thick and the vadas don't come as fluffy and light , then add very little water.
Enjoy and Good luck :)
Linking to: - Street Food of India